Inge, you are specialized in professional translation, presentation, and language training. Could you explain what this is about?
Certainly! As a language coach with more than 20 years of experience, I assist my customers with various language-related tasks, including language and presentation coaching as well as professional translation. Let me elaborate on these three fields of work a bit:
Language Training: If you’re looking to improve your language and communication skills and to reduce your stress level when thinking of your next appointment in English – contact me. I will provide you with individual language training tailored to your needs. No matter if it’s practicing conversational skills e.g. for meetings, negotiations, small talk or telephone situations, expanding your individually required vocabulary, i.e. your own toolbox, or reviewing related grammar concepts, which should just be seen as tools – I will support you and develop these future work skills together with you, either in one-day workshop formats or in training periods aligned with your needs and availability.
In line with this language coaching comes my individual Presentation Coaching concept, which I offer in both English and German. In a one-day workshop format we have a look into the details of your individual and authentic presentation, which you might be supposed to hold next week in front of colleagues, CEOs or any other interested audience. Don’t worry any longer when you think of that – because you will get my feel-good package of language strategies, revised presentation files and visuals, recommendations on your body language and your voice as well as a lot of opportunities to practice and rehearse your presentation. At the end of this day, you will feel more confident and relaxed and will be looking forward to presenting your message!
Professional Translation: There is much more to translation than transferring words from one language to another. Every field of expertise, e.g. marketing, robots, mechanical engineering or agriculture, use their own technical language. Messages often come between the lines. A play on words often uses different pictures as well as idioms and idiomatic phrases.
Professional translation is based on a lot of experience and technical expertise in specific fields, many years of detailed linguistic studies and long stays in the countries of your working languages.
No matter if it is a translation of an important document, which might even have to be certified, or a website, or any other type of content – me and my team provide you with an appropriate version in any language of the world, and you can always be reassured that your target text has been translated and then proofread by competent, experienced and well-trained translators who have the relevant expertise in your field of work. No occasional errors, no nuances that could affect the final result, no repeat work due to failing terminology. No repeat meetings because the relevant documents are not clear or precise.
Having documents translated by professionals means saving time, money and many other resources.
Today, the majority of people speak English quite fluently. What is the benefit of a language coaching?
While it’s true that English is widely spoken and understood by many people, it is still just a meta language for most of them. A bit of statistics here: 2.3 billion people in the world speak English, and 1.85 billion out of these speak English as a second language. All of these come with their own native grammar concepts, their pictures, phrases and idioms to the table and often expect the other people to understand these concepts, pictures and idioms (“now we have the salad” – Germans love that picture J).
That’s why I am convinced of the fact that learners who are going to need more and more skills and strategies to build trust, to manage impressions, to deal with conflict or to mediate will need support and guidance when it comes down to international communication. This is where I see many benefits to language coaching even for those who already have a good level of fluency in English. Here are a few reasons why language coaching is valuable:
1. Refining Language Skills: Language coaching helps individuals refine their language skills and take their fluency to a higher level. It focuses on improving specific aspects such as pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, and idiomatic expressions. As your coach I can provide guidance, correct errors, and offer personalized feedback to help my customers communicate more effectively and confidently and with a reduced stress level.
2. Targeted Communication: Language coaching is particularly beneficial for those who need to communicate in a specific professional context. Whether it’s for business purposes, academic pursuits, or specialized industries, I tailor the training to address the specific needs and requirements of my customers. This targeted approach ensures that the language skills developed are directly applicable to the intended purpose.
3. Cultural Understanding: Language coaching includes cultural insights and awareness, which are crucial for effective communication. Understanding cultural nuances, social norms, and appropriate language usage in different contexts can significantly enhance communication skills. I provide guidance on cultural aspects, helping my customers navigate cross-cultural interactions with more confidence and sensitivity.
4. Overcoming Language Barriers: Even if someone has a good level of English fluency, they may still face challenges in certain areas or encounter specific language barriers. I identify and address these barriers, whether it’s improving listening comprehension, developing better writing skills, or building more natural conversation and mediation skills. I provide targeted exercises and strategies to overcome these challenges.
5. Individualized Support: Language coaching offers personalized support and attention to my customer’s specific needs and goals. Unlike general language classes or self-study methods, I adapt the coaching sessions to focus on areas where the student requires the most improvement. This tailored approach accelerates language learning and ensures that time and effort are invested efficiently.
Language coaching helps you communicate more effectively and confidently in various contexts, opening up opportunities for your personal and professional growth.
Are there any quick hacks to improve your presentation skills immediately?
Improving presentation skills is a gradual process that requires practice and experience. Unfortunately, there are no magic shortcuts, but there are some techniques and tips that can help you enhance your presentation skills more effectively.
Here are a few „quick hacks“ you can apply to improve your presentations:
1. Prepare and Rehearse: Take the time to thoroughly prepare your presentation content and rehearse it multiple times. Familiarize yourself with the flow, key points, and transitions. Practice will help you deliver your presentation more smoothly and confidently.
2. Start with a Strong Opening: Capture your audience’s attention from the beginning by starting with a compelling opening. It could be a thought-provoking question, an interesting fact, a relevant story, or a powerful quote. A strong opening sets the tone and engages your listeners right away.
3. Focus on Key Messages: Identify the main messages or takeaways you want to convey, and structure your presentation around them. Keep your content clear, concise, and focused. Avoid overwhelming your audience with too much information or unrelated details.
4. Use Visual Aids Wisely: Visual aids, such as slides or props, can enhance your presentation, but use them sparingly and purposefully. Make sure your visuals are visually appealing, easy to understand, and support your key messages. Avoid overcrowding slides with text and use visuals to complement your spoken words.
5. Engage with Your Audience: Actively involve your audience to maintain their attention and create a connection. Encourage participation through questions, discussions, or interactive activities. Look for ways to make your presentation more interactive and engaging.
6. Utilize Body Language: Pay attention to your body language, as it can significantly impact your presentation. Stand tall, maintain good posture, and make eye contact with your audience. Use hand gestures and facial expressions to emphasize key points and convey enthusiasm.
7. Speak Clearly and Pace Yourself: Speak clearly and project your voice to ensure everyone can hear you. Pay attention to your pace and avoid speaking too fast or too slowly. Use pauses strategically to emphasize important points or allow the audience to digest information.
8. Seek Feedback and Learn from Experience: After delivering your presentation, seek feedback from trusted individuals or colleagues. Ask for constructive criticism and areas for improvement. Reflect on your performance and learn from each experience to continuously refine your presentation skills.
Remember, practice and experience are key to improving your presentation skills. While these tips can help you make immediate improvements, regular practice and ongoing refinement will lead to more significant long-term growth in your presentation abilities.
There are so many translation service providers these days. What sets you apart from the competition?
I can’t speak for specific translation service providers in the industry, but there are a few characteristics that account for my USP and set my capabilities apart:
1. Versatility: My team and I translate texts from and to multiple languages, covering a wide range of language pairs. Whether you need translations for common languages such as English, Spanish, Russian or French, or for less widely spoken languages such as Urdu, Hindi or Chinese, we can assist with a variety of language combinations. And we don’t do that with the help of impersonal digital communication tools. Instead, our customers talk to me personally, receive individual and immediate advice if they have any questions, and don’t have to pay in advance via billing software. In case of queries, last-minute changes or supplements, there are no lengthy communications with chatbots, but direct and personal contact. And anyway, we comply with data protection regulations and provide you with a transparent and accurate process of binding offers before you place an order.
2. Knowledge Base: Our extensive academic education and subsequent training on the job over many years allow us to draw upon a wide range of knowledge, vocabulary and data bases during the translation process, ensuring accurate and contextually appropriate translations. Moreover, we have quality assurance processes in place.
3. Speed and Efficiency: We process and generate translations quickly. This is beneficial for time-sensitive projects or when you require prompt responses. The ability to provide translations efficiently is absolutely advantageous in terms of speed or availability.
4. Availability: As we are a large team of experts, we are available at any time, allowing you to access translation services whenever you need them. You can rely on my assistance regardless of the time zone or geographical location.
5. Continuous Improvement: We continually update and refine our knowledge base since language is constantly developing. Moreover, we make sure that we stay current with language trends, vocabulary, and grammatical structures, enhancing the quality of translations.
What do you love most about your job?
· I am highly emotional about my profession, which I see as a mission J. I’m determined to support my customers in communicating without being stressed-out, I want them to see English and languages in general as a tool to understand each other. I am happy when I see that they are relieved because their presentation was a success, or that they communicated with their business partners without sweating, or that they could submit their certified documents in good time to authorities in order to get married or to be entitled to drive. I love when websites, brochures, employee or customer magazines transport the messages their authors had intended to get across, even if there are totally different realities in the targeted countries. I am thankful when customers appreciate my and our work and come back for repeat business. This is what I strive for. Language and its concepts are fascinating, and I am grateful to be part of these constantly developing concepts.
You are based in Germany. Are your clients mostly from Germany or do you operate internationally?
· In these modern times, I’m accessible online and assist my customers from around the world, regardless of their location. I provide language-related support to users globally, whereas the majority is based in Germany. When it comes down to face-to-face personal coaching sessions, of course, my radius is more limited, mostly to Southern Germany.
How can our readers get in touch with you?
I have direct communication channels. You can interact with me through my email, my points of contact on LinkedIn, Xing, my website, facebook or via phone. Feel free to ask any questions or provide information, and I’ll always do my best to support you.
Inge, thank you so much for this interesting interview and insights on language and communications training. To our community, feel free to connect with Inge on LinkedIn!